Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Boy Scout is Helpful!

For Valentines Day, my Beloved Scoutmaster bought me this backyard fire pit.

I heart The Scoutmaster!

Yesterday, when we wanted to try it out for the first time, The SM was out golfing with a friend and D. So, I asked the Boy Scout if he would like to put his skills to use. He was very, very, happy to help.


I walked away and let him do it all himself, which was hard for me.


When I came back, he had done this:


I was skeptical, but I handed him the long matches and let him light it, biting my tongue the whole time.

I really, really wanted to make some helpful suggestions...



Moments later, we had this!


Which soon grew into this:

Sure enough, he knew what he was doing and it worked perfectly! I was so proud and so pleased to be reminded that more and more he is a real help to me. God has gifted him with a helpful heart and he is very proud when he is able to accomplish something like this. A great time was had by all, as we sat around the fire and toasted our marshmallows.

Thanks, Boy Scout! You are a gift.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like your family had a WONDERFUL weekend!! It's great to see the whole gang out and about, enjoying the broad sunshine. When I "give" one of our munchkins a project, I find it's usually BEST for both of us if I "walk away" - they are, as you said, so capapble and proud to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a wonderful weekend! Today the skies are grey and rainy again, so I'm really thankful that we were able to take advantage of the tiny window of summery weather. You know what a rare treat that is around here this time of year!

    ReplyDelete