Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Going Under



It's funny how my "season of life" impacts my perspective on so many things, including my relationship with the Lord.

A few of you commented along the lines of how it takes purposeful work to go deep. To stay below the surface requires a concerted effort to swim down.

When I picture going deep and escaping the turmoil of the surface for the depths of His peace,
I picture... sinking. It's a complete, surrendered, letting go. I give up my will to survive and to keep myself afloat and then I find myself
sinking...
sinking...
sinking...
down into the quiet, dark, calm, peaceful places.

I remember the seasons of my life when I would work hard to go deep. When I would dive and kick and swim purposefully toward the depths.

For now, I am content to surrender to gravity.

Surely, my season for vigorous swimming will come around again, in due time.

"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young." Isaiah 40:11

1 comment:

  1. It's one of those oxymoronic juxtapositional both/and thingies, I think ...
    Focusing, resting, trusting in the Lord is BOTH easy and hard. Sinking and diving. Effortful and effortless.

    There's a time for everything!!

    ReplyDelete